Thursday, January 26, 2006

I gotta tell you guys something about this book "A Million Little Pieces, by James Frey" - you know, the addiction memoir that Oprah endorsed and now feels betrayed by all the innaccuracies?

I grabbed that and "A Drinking Life" at a point when I was thinking about quitting drinking. This was maybe a year ago - before Oprah endorsed the book.

I grabbed the first one - "A Million Little Pieces" - and started to read.

I got thru maybe 10 pages - couldn't read it - just couldn't relate to it - didn't like it - felt pretenteous, I dunno... truth is, I sorta felt it sucked - I dunno. I did

went to "A Drinking life" which is a WRITER'S take on the life on drinking...and how he realized how destructive it was to him and his writing, and he said "I'm done" - and that's it - he was done. - That book inspired me.

so - in all this controversy, I had the displeasure of wanting to get rid of this "Million Little Pieces" book even before it became fashionable to get rid of it. And now it will probably be impossible to do so at used book stores -

suckers

POSTEDIT: - if someone were to check the facts of this story, it'd find them totally in line with the truth except for one detail - it is implied I got rid of my copy of the book when it was still possible.

I did not - I was too lazy to go to the used bookstore - I dunno - maybe I'll keep it for the "I love 2005" - segment on VH1 - :)


============================================================

Oh god, to be there in the used book stores when the decree is announced - "WE'RE NOT TAKING ANY USED COPIES OF THIS BOOK BACK!!" - lol - I can see there being a sudden um, glut...

RB

2 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, Blogger Ignatious said...

i've added a drinking life to my book list. thanks.

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger whiskeytown said...

it's a cool book - it cemented my idea of writing as a possible profession - I know the goal, just don't know the means yet.

RB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home