well, hell with it - I was reading Amy Calistri's blog
where she described the list of 50 or 100 things we're supposed to make about ourselves -
(I bugged Amy a while back about some good Townes Van Zandt stories, but she didn't have any - I don't think that makes me her internet stalker - but we do share a kinship for music and performing it) -
so here we go - the 100 things about me.
1. - I was born in Northwest Montana, (Whitefish) and still consider Montana to be where I'm from, even though I haven't lived there in 15 yrs.
2. - I was born for a purpose but I have no idea what it is
3. - as a kid, I was so smart they almost let me skip 2nd grade and go onto third, but my mother nixed it fearing it would impede my social development.
4. - as a kid, I was so smart it impeded my social development anyways.
5. - I have certain genetic traits in my family that are pluses - we're unusually healthy as men, can still drive fence posts into our 50's, and don't suffer from morbid obesity.
6. - negative genetic traits include an early tendancy to go grey and a habit for picking up addictions to various substances and we start going bald around 30's to early 40's.
7. - as regards number 5 - I am 32 years old and am approx. 60 percent grey already.
8. - with my hair cut short, I have been told by several people, drunk and sober, that I look like Russell Crowe.
9. - my brother is 3 inches taller then me, and I'm 6'2, so he's a monster.
10. - math was as easy to me as breathing growing up - I could see answers it took kids 3 min. to solve - not a prodigy, but the brain was wired right.
11. - when I quit doing math, I picked up an obscene addiction to music, listening to it or playing it for hrs. on end - I wore out three walkman motors in two yrs of college. I think they both use the same side of the brain and it stimulated it in some way.
12. - I play a guitar once owned by Bill Mallonee of the Vigilantes of Love.
13. - Townes Van Zandt is my favorite songwriter - I blame part of my drinking habits on my desire to be more like him and live his life -
14. - I gamble as well as he did too - I was down $1100 in poker last year, and this year, thanks to Vegas trips, am down $1500 for the yr so far.
15. - I have a bondage fetish and a subscription to a online adult site - nothing painful or too out there or in the S&M scene - just yer normal everyday tied up and teased stuff. I don't really care if it's the guy or the girl doing the teasing either.
16. - I came to Minnesota to go to Bible School - I am technically a Broadcasting major and a biblical studies minor.
17. - I am not gay, but if I were, I'd wanna hang with Kyan from Queer Eye - he's a good looking dude and not too "gaylike"
18. - right now, I'm thinking Jessica Alba may be the most beautiful woman on the planet - but I liked her better with long dark hair, not the shorter blonde stuff.
19. - I love Asian classical period films - from Kurosawa samurai flicks to the Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon stuff from Hong Kong -
20. - In fact, I used to think I had an Asian girl fetish, but truth is, I am just attracted to brunettes - give me a Natalie Portman over the plastic baywatch girls anyway.
21. - My favorite whiskey is Jameson - I first got it at the CC Club, where the Replacements/Husker Du used to hang out in Mpls. in the 80's.
22. - about once every few weeks, I cut back on drinking and start up again a few weeks later.
23. - my most shameful drinking momemt was pissing my pants while driving home one night - don't know how I made it alive. The shame is not from pissing, but driving in the first place.
24. - I wanted to avoid drinking this month, but I think I'm gonna start that after the Vegas trip this weekend.
25. - Of the three women I have dated in the last two years, they all approached me or a friend of ours - I am the shyest asshole on the planet and in all three cases, they made the first move.
26. - I first truly fell in love late - at age 29 - it lasted 5 months, and when it ended was when my first true heavy drinking began.
27. - before it was done, I spent three days in the mental hospital on a suicide watch against my will.
28. - in fact, a google of certain emails/names on groups.google.com will show some posts when I was primed and discussing ways to do myself in -
29. - If I were to ever consider doing it again, I'd light a couple bags of charocoal in a small enclosed space and let carbon minoxide do the job. I haven't thought of that for a couple yrs, BTW.
30. - regarding said first love, I still have her cell phone memorized - fruck.
31. - my memory is still pretty good when it comes to music - I don't remember the name of the cute redhead who works at the Dubliner, but I remember she's a Liz Phair fan and I promised to bring early Liz demos next time I go over there.
32. - I'm taking violin lessons, and I suck cause I never practice
33. - as a kid, I hated green vegetables and milk - as an adult, I like milk and still hate green vegetables - pickest eater in the world - just make it plain - gratsi.
34. - I can't drink whiskey without a coke/mountain dew to wash it down with - I was stunned last year to find out my hero, Townes Van Zandt, used to drink his booze in the same way. - always with a swig and washing it down with coke.
35. - I have smoked weed maybe a half dozen times, but it never gives me a buzz, or else I'm too drunk anyways.
36. - I joined my current band partially for the name.
37. - on a scale of 1-10, I rate my songwriting about an 8 - I bust my ass and it shows - my guitar playing a 3 and my vocals a 7 - but they're alt country sounding - I can't do that Marvin Gaye shit.
38. I am obsessed with hair loss - I stare at it in the mirror and consider taking rogaine or propecia to fight it - or maybe I already do ;)
39. I probably have a catalog of mental disorders larger then this list - but it's not my parent's fault - I had good parents.
40. - In fact, to say I love and am glad to have the Dad I do is an understatement - I've read where most dads were unaffectionate and distant - not mine -
41. - I have no clue what moderation is - (and that's with everything from eating to drinking to whatever) - if me and the poster boy for moderation got in the same room, the positive/negative energies would blow the world apart.
42. - My favorite Russell Crowe movie is Master and Commander.
43. - I am a movie junkie, but rarely can watch TV unless I'm flipping thru channels - I am unable to find one show I like and can muster up the discipline to watch/record - but I will buy DVD sets for the good ones like Futurama.
44. - I am a sci/fi fantasy geek who grew up adoring Star Wars and Dungeons and Dragons - there, I admit it -
45. I wrote a chapter in a book on Cisco Certification about 5 yrs ago. Basically, it was the history of Cisco switching/products.
46. Number of Cisco Switches I had used at the time I wrote it - zero
47. I got into broadcasting when I got out of college - although it pays for shit, the fact I could get into a major market like Minneapolis out of college was a source of pride for me to this day.
48. - I got my first tech job repairing desktop computers at Compusa
49. - number of desktop computers I repaired prior to that job, maybe 1 -
50. - as you can gather, I'm a fast learner, and a good faker till I get it figured out.
51. - I have never cheated on a girlfriend - when that one first love hurt me with something she did one night, I had a chance to make a move on a cute curvy blonde and I couldn't even bring myself to entertain the thought for more then 10 seconds.
52. - ok, fuck it - let's drop this bomb in the middle right now - I'm a virgin, (technically, one girl tried giving me a BJ and one warmed me up pretty good with her hand) but for my 32 yrs. on this planet, I have had no sexual intercourse with women.
53. - the reason? - Bible School - believed in God, saving myself for marriage, and most of the women I dated at that time were of the same mindset and wouldn't let me get past second base anyhow.
54. - I am not certain whether I will continue to subscribe to this theory in the future, as my faith took certain severe hits in the last couple years. I certainly no longer require membership in the Christian faith in women I date, whereas once it was. I do require a good heart -
55. HOWEVER, if/when I say hell with it, it will not be a one night stand or a hooker, but will be with someone I actually care about - I am a hopeless romantic and couldn't ever see myself as a casual sex person.
56. It is my hope when that moment comes, I can do what I usually do, learn fast, and fake it so that she never finds out she was my first...LOL
57. I own a Colt .44 magnum Anaconda with shells that are practically loaded for taking out bears - (and no that is NOT sexual innuendo - I simply have a bigass gun suitable for taking engine blocks)
58. regarding my faith, I am comfortable saying I am a Christian, but I no longer subscribe to churchanity and I no longer go to church at this time.
59. In part due to this faith, not only did I not have sex, but voted Republican - at least in 2004, I rectified one mistake by voting Democrat. To me, the ideals of the democratic party are more in the mindset of what Christ would want (help the poor, be a peacemaker, not a warmonger) then the Republican Party.
60. My most often read spiritual book is called "Disappointment with God" - it's practically dogeared by now. ON that same token, about the only Christian author I can read is Philip Yancey - he seems to understand that sometimes, the worst thing to tell a person with weak faith is that he doesn't have enough faith cause he's a sinner/distant from God.
61. I like trucks - and don't see myself driving or owning a car ever unless it's a convertible
62 - I had a motorcycle for a brief time, but was afraid of killing myself on it so I sold it - for some reason, I keep the endorsement up each yr. on my license though.
63. I appear to have an undeserved reputation for being a good tournament player - my tourney play this year has bordered on attrocious - but if you need someone to get to the the bubble last 1 percent right before your money, I'm your man.
64. Interesting enough, because of this I have grown fond of satellites and SNG's, which pay from 16-25 percent of the field - I have decent luck with those.
65. - I have never read Skalansky or Mason's books cover to cover - any of them - I skim, start, get bored, come back, restart -
66. - I think I have ADD - or should have been diagnosed with it at least.
67. - aside from alt-country, I love Irish Music - as Bob Dylan put it, I just need to find a translator to get over there and I'd be an Irish musician for life.
68. - when I started this blog two yrs. ago, it was to put updates for the Open Internet Challenge - I deleted it after 3 months cause the OIC was over and it was turning inot a drunk rant - Felicia talked me back into it a yr. ago so I could play in her blogger tourneys, and here it is today.
69. - I am slightly bummed I'm not as well known as Iggy, Felicia, or Pauly, but when I see the shit some of them go thru I don't feel as bad. I've noticed several of them have stopped allowing comments to be posted.
70. - every time I go to Vegas, I lose about 4-5 pounds - I forget to eat and I can't eat at the table.
71. When I started playing poker, I lost about $1000 at 2/4 and easily bragged about it to all friends and people in earshot to make a girl I knew feel bad - the reason being she rejected me as dating material for no reason one night and I knew she was broke a lot, so I wanted to make her jealous/unhappy she dropped me - (and yes, initially, she made the first move on me too, but changed her mind later)
72. - I don't feel bad about that one, she was a psycho in retrospect and I made over $120K that yr as a networking contractor.
73. - Oh yes - Psychology majors - dated two - there will not be a third.
74. - I have slightly high blood pressure - it was 180 over 120 before I went to the doc. - it's partially genetic, but I was drinking and suicdal and you know how that kicks your stress level up a bit.
75. I hate mornings - I am a nights/late night person - when I went from day shift to graveyard shift, it was so much easier to stay up nights.
76. I work for a major financial institution. That's all you need to know on that.
77. If you're a woman and you want me to just crush on you majorly, be a musician - I'm drawn to them like flies on honey. Even if you're just the singer, no matter.
78. I am one of those kind of people who would rather have 5 close friends then 100 fair weather ones - as a result, I'm probably too loyal to the ones I have, but I was able to outgrow a couple in the last couple yrs. who I realized were assholes.
79. I'm aware that one asshole reads this blog, and by doing so, he found out one time that I type his name into google.com and read posts he makes on the viewaskew message boards and Napolean Dynamite board. - I also do it with ex-gf's and former High School buddies just to see how life is treating them.
80. my favorite computer game is probalbly a Star Wars sim, like Tie Fighter or X-Wing Alliance
81. my first computer was a TI-99-4a, and I backed up programs to a cassette deck.
82.- my first collection of songs was recording on a boom box in 1991 at home in Montata - technically my first album, and if a copy ever leaks out I'll die of shame.
83. my first band was called After The Dawn, and it was supposed to be an uplifting name for a Christian Coffeeshop act - actually, the best band I've ever played in technically when we were two guitars/bass/drums, but gawd, were we naive.
84. Said band was offered some "development help" from Dana Key of Ardent Records after we surprised him in a Christian Band tournament, but I swore too much and think I drove him off after one phone call because, well, I didn't wanna have him bring in his own Frontman and replace me as the singer or basically be in a band a record label put together.
85. I was infatuated with African guitar music in the 90's as well, like Juluka and bands that Paul Simon tapped into for Graceland. Any guitar technique I have is more me trying to play like them - I have never and will never be inspired by Van Halen or any Metal.
86. favorite food - Meat Lovers Pizza, then Spaghetti, then Barbaque Ribs - with some Chicken Lo Mein in there without vegetables and some chicken fried rice. This may have to be revised cause I'm putting on a few pounds and lately pizza have been giving me heartburn, which has been unthinkable most of my life.
87. I am middle aged at age 32 - it has taken me a long time to accept, but as more of my family dies and my nephews get too big to lift and my scale creeps up to 220 pounds, my facade of immortality is starting to crack.
88. In the past, I decided that if I had to pick between love and poker, I'd pick poker and hold out for a love that was more tolerant - I've since learned poker doesn't cut it - neither did rock and roll, but that never scared girlfriends I've had in the past like poker does.
89. my poker bankroll is currently about $400 in live and online currency, and I'm always playing too far above it -
90. I will buy a 60 inch TV this year, and probably only watch DVD's on it.
91. My favorite band of the 90's was the Verve - if I could start an ambient british prog. band and not be a poser, I'd do it.
92. - I'm exceptionally independantly minded - I remember wearing a green army jacket once to a Charlatans UK concert cause I knew, as a British band playing in the US, there would be a high probability of Black vinyl/leather there and I didn't wanna be like everyone else.
93. I am a t-shirt and jeans guy all the way, with a nice collection of Homer Simpson and Homestar Runner shirts and my favorite shirt, which simply says "Creed Sucks" - nothing brings me more joy fashionwise then to be complimented or get a second look at my shirt cause the girls are laughing at Homer in his underwear.
94. I probably have 50 times as many posts on 2+2 in politics and OOT forums as I do in strategy - I used to say I was nervous about giving tips that others could use against me, but it's really because that's about 75% of my social interaction these days.
95. My favorite female singer is Kate Rusby, doing a song like Sleepless Sailor - I want to die with that song playing in the background and I want to hear it at my funeral - but I have not decided whether I will want to be creamated or buried, but in my heart, I think my remains are going back to Montana either way to rest in peace until the Resurrection.
96. I started this list cause I couldn't get to sleep - now I'll be able to but will get up in two hrs. to pick up two amps from the shop, get lunch, and cram in a weeks worth of violin practice in 90 minutes.
97. I am probably a severely messed up/fucked up individual with a heart that is way too goddamn big for today's world - and more then once I wish I could be one of those mindless drones who's only goal is to get drunk, get laid, and party till dawn.
98. I love coke-cola - drank it in HS like it was water, and still do today whenever I can.
99. - I have a beard right now and have had it for two months - it's the first time I've ever tried growing one, and I had to buy a beard trimmer to make it work.
100. - I have written some things in this list fully aware that much of the blogger community is out and won't read it till I get back from Vegas, which is just fine with me - I don't wanna get razzed for the virginity thing...LOL
ok....my singleminded focus is lessened - maybe I can nap for a bit.